Thursday 20 November 2008

Doing It Yourself

Wow, I am so delighted with the reaction to my gift-wrap tutorials! Thanks so much to everyone who has left a comment here or over on my Flickr... and to the lovely people at Craft for giving my Faux Bois wrapping a mention. I also spotted one of my parcels over on Apartment Therapy (eee! so exciting!) in a nice little article about alternatives to expensive giftwrap.

I'm definitely picking up on a do-it-yourself, thrifty-but-chic vibe around Christmas this year. Not everyone wants to make homemade jam, or can knit everyone scarves, or has friends that want that sort of thing (I know my dad for one would be very unamused if I presented him with a badly knit scarf or a felt badge instead of a nice book!) ... but I've heard a lot of people talking about giving one or two special gifts instead of the usual pile, and about saving a bit of cash on the wrapping paper.

So many people seem to be opting for the simple brown paper look for their gifts - one person mentioned white Kraft paper, which sounds amazing and achingly chic - but I think there's a lot to be said for getting a bit Blue Peter and having the sort of crafty fun I've been having with my parcels! I think the extra time and love you put into your giftwrapping can really help make the gift-giving special, just like how making a birthday card for someone feels much more personal than just spending £2 in WHSmiths. 'Tis the thought that counts, after all...

Oh and if you were wondering why there have been so few of my usual crafting photos recently, don't worry I'm still sewing - I'm busy behind the scenes with a mix of custom orders and top secret Christmas presents, shhh!

A totally unrelated PS, check out the awesome vintage tablecloth I picked up from a charity shop this week, with tea-themed embroidery in each corner (I especially adore the teapot)

4 comments:

Swirlyarts said...

That tablecloth is adorable!

Swirlyarts said...

I meant to say too - I have been enjoying the gift wrap tutorials.

Anonymous said...

I love brown paper parcels - you'll have to blame Julie Andrews for that, sadly I couldn't persuade my husband not to go for the shop bought wrapping paper option. Though I am hoping I didn't buy enough :D (actually I know I didn't buy enough, 'cause I also bought some more brown paper... ). Loving the pompom version the best so far!

Knit Sew City Girl said...

I saw you latest 'alternatives to expensive giftwrap' on the craftzine blog. I really like the leaves.

Mary