Saturday 19 January 2013

Winter Birds

We had quite a lot of snow here yesterday!

I had to abandon my plans to take parcels to the Post Office and instead stayed indoors in the warm drinking tea and watching the flakes fall (they are quite hypnotic, aren't they?) and dozens of birds flocking to my parents bird feeders.

I took a couple of snaps of some of the visitors soon after the snow began falling:




(Click on the photos if you'd like to view them larger).

We're very lucky to get a wide range of birds visiting my parents garden: blue tits, coal tits, great tits, long tailed tits, green woodpeckers, great spotted woodpeckers, chaffinches, goldfinches, greenfinches, jays, blackbirds, dunnocks, wrens, parakeets, crows, pigeons, sparrows, magpies, nut hatches... there are even a couple of kites nesting nearby that we often see flying overhead.

Perfect for a bird lover like me, and a very nice change from my old flat where we mostly saw lots of pigeons and lots and lots of noisy seagulls.

5 comments:

bairozan said...

Yes, we heard about the weather in the UK and got a bit worried, because we were expecting some friends but they arrived safely from London :) On the other hand, we had some beautiful weather the last couple of days - sunny and warm. Today, we're back to winter with some more fluffy snow :)

Manu said...

Aww, adorable little creatures!

Wendy said...

thank you for the snow pictures- it looks lovely, we have been living with 42C temps here -need the cool views :)

Pat said...

Lovely photos! What kind of little birds are they? I'm from South Africa ~ we have just gone through a heatwave of note, would love to be in the UK right now! I feed many birds in my garden too ~ especially cute are our grey louries, I have a family of three that flop around in my big tree eating the crab apples!

Bugs and Fishes said...

Pat - the birds in the photos are great tits, bluetits and robins :)